Monday, January 28, 2013

1 Nursery: DIY Pelmet / Cornice

I'm not really sure what the difference between a pelmet and a cornice is.  All the DIY pages for the project below call this a pelmet, so I'm going to guess that's the correct terminology.  My mom had no clue what I was talking about though when I asked her if she wanted to help me make a pelmet for baby girl's room.  When I said basically a cornice, she immediately understood.



Most of the DIY pages I found where people had done this project said they did it during their kid's naptime, or in just a couple hours.  I'm going to go ahead and admit, it took Mom and I well over 4 hours to complete this project.  That, of course, may have something to do with the window we were building the pelmet for being 70" instead of the much smaller windows most people build these for.  It could also have to do with the fact we kept measuring and remeasuring to ensure we were doing everything correctly.

Materials for this project:

  • Foam board from Michael's, on sale 2 for $3.  We used 4 boards to create a 76" pelmet, although only 3 were absolutely necessary.
  • Batting
  • Fabric for covering (I used a $12.99, 95" curtain from Target that exactly matched the other two white curtains that are hanging)
  • Ribbon for decorating
  • Lots of duck tape
All in all, it cost about $26 to create this.  The curtain that I used for covering was $12.99, the foam board was $6, I used $5 worth of batting, $3 in ribbon.

First we measured to decide how wide our pelmet should be.  The window opening is 70", and we figured 76" would give us the correct amount of space on each side.

We had three foam boards that were 30" wide each, so we cut 7" off two of the boards.  Then we duck taped the three boards together.  We taped and taped until it felt sturdy.  I bought white duck tape instead of using the standard silver stuff in the garage, since I was using white fabric to cover the pelmet.


Tape the seams until they feel sturdy
 The next step was to tape on the sides.  At first we used the 7" leftover pieces that we had cut off previously to do the sides, but we ended up having to cut them down to 5.75" so that the curtain I had could be stretched and tucked under.  First, we laid a piece of tape under the L so half was under the bottom board, and then we folded it up over the side piece.  Then we taped the inside.  Then we taped both again until they felt sturdy.




Next we wrapped in batting and taped, taped, taped.  Then we covered with the curtain and again taped, taped, taped. We later went back and reinforced this with a hot glue gun.



At first we tried putting the ribbon on by pulling it tight and taping on the back.  It sagged, so we went back with a hot glue gun and reinforced it so it wouldn't fall off.

The next step we initially started to do the monogram the same as hisugarplum, but I just didn't like the way the felt letters came out.  I didn't love the pink, and I didn't feel like I did a good enough job cutting it straight.  The letters were just wavy.
Not a fan, so this was quickly thrown in the trash!
As we were working on this my husband kept yelling from the living room "why don't you just use your Cricut to cut vinyl letters"  I kept insisting the vinyl wouldn't stick.  Finally, since I hated the felt, we cut off a piece of my vinyl to see if it would stick.  It did.  You can peel it back off, but it seems to adhere well.  I use the outdoor-quality sign vinyl so it's got a pretty heavy duty adhesive.  I did find they do make fabric vinyl, but I already had the regular vinyl on hand.

So we searched for our favorite script letters.  Now that the Cricut was doing the cutting, we could do a much fancier monogram than we were initially going to do.  After mom and I looked through *every* font I have, we settled on the timeless "French Script" that I think actually comes with Windows.  I have dozens of downloaded custom fonts, but nothing beat the timeless look of the traditional French Script.

We also switched things up to blue lettering at this point.  I happened to have some blue vinyl that perfectly matched the blue in the Savannah nursery set that is going in baby girl's room.  

Much better monogram!

And then the big question came... just *how* are we going to mount this to the wall?!  Actually this question came up several times during the process, from everyone.  To which my answer was always "We figure that part out when we get there."  Partly because I wasn't 100% sure how we would secure brackets to the pelmet to get it to mount to the wall, and partly because it's fun to see everyone's face when you tell them you're not really sure how to finish a project that you've been working on for hours.

Basically, it took my mom, dad, and myself (husband was busy working away getting our rental house ready for new tenants) a couple of hours, some L-brackets, and a lot of duck tape to figure it out.  The brackets we used weren't true L-brackets, but I'm not sure what else to call them.  One side was duct tape and screwed with small screws into the foamboard, the other side was screwed into the wall.  At first we only duck taped, and did not use screws.  Big mistake, after a few hours one side fell.  I put three screws in each side, making sure they went through foamboard but not fabric, and it's very sturdy!


1 comment:

  1. so cute! I've been looking for someone who has large windows like mine to try this. I think i'll go oni and give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...