Walking past it in the garage the other day, I had the idea to spray paint it and use it in baby girl's room to hold some of her books. Maybe if I had gone with my original idea of pink and gray theme in her room, I would have left it silver, but that idea was nixed a long time ago.
I knew I wanted to personalize it a little bit, and began searching for children's books quotes. Below are some of the ones I found:
- "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living my baby you'll be."
- "You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming? That's where I’ll always love you. That’s where I’ll be waiting."
- "The Rainbow Fish shared his scales left end right. And the more he gave away, the more delighted he became. When the water around him filled with glimmering scales, he at last felt at home among the other fish."
- "Where you tend a rose, my lad, a thistle cannot grow." - The Secret Garden
- "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." - Dr. Seuss
But none of these really connected with me. The Secret Garden quote and the Dr. Seuss came the closest because I loved the Secret Garden when I was little, and the Dr. Seuss quote obviously has the most to do with reading.
Then I began thinking of all the princess fairy tales and had a bit of a "duh" moment. What describes every one of the fairy tales that a little girl loves to read more than "Once Upon a Time" It would be the perfect quote and then I could use the rack for fairy tale books!
Like the bow holder I made, this was a fairly easy project.
First, I spray painted it white. I had nearly a whole can leftover from a wedding project, so I didn't even have to buy new paint.
Next, I spent entirely too long searching for the "perfect" free fairy tale font. I finally decided on "Freebooter Script"
After deciding on the font, all that was left to do was cut the pink vinyl with my Cricut. I already had a roll of pink vinyl leftover from some of the wine glasses I've made.
Originally I was going to put the quote all around the edges, but as I was laying out the letters before applying them my husband walked by and said it looked too busy. He was right, so I settled on doing the two L-shaped quotes are the top and bottom.
I love how it turned out! Now I wish it would warm up permanently so everyone starts having yard sales again. Last fall I saw plenty of princess books at yard sales for 10, 20, 50 cents. But we didn't know if we were having a boy or girl so we didn't buy any.